After you have tried the AREPAS in our previous post, the next dish to try from Venezuela is this gorgeous bowl of comfort food called ‘CHUPE’. Again, made from ingredients readily available at home, it is a complete meal in itself. Take some broken bread on side for dipping and unwind on a couch with this warm soup and a cozy blanket.
1/4 of an onion, very finely chopped
1/4 of a red bell pepper, very finely chopped
A handful of coriander leaves (plus a bit extra for decoration)
5-7 cups of vegetable broth
3 potatoes, boiled,peeled and cut into cubes
1 packet extra firm tofu, cut into cubes
1 can corn kernels
1/4 cup heavy non-dairy cream (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cumin powder
- Add the pieces of corn, onion, bell pepper, coriander, potatoes and 5 cups of the broth to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil. Cook for some time making sure the potatoes don’t go mushy.
- Add the tofu cubes and corn kernels.
- Bring this up to a simmer again.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to your liking and turn off the heat.
- With the heat off, if you want add the heavy cream and stir (never bring it back up to a boil after the cream has been added or it might separate).
- Serve the chowder with a dash of cumin powder and the remaining fresh coriander. Enjoy!
If you like this post, don’t forget to LIKE AND COMMENT! Have a great day!