If you have been reading the paper or observing the hoardings around the city, you would know, that the Ludhiana administration is hosting SARAS MELA 2017 at the PAU grounds from 5 – 16 October 2017, an initiative by the Ministry of Rural Development. While I did have my reservations in the beginning, but I am so glad I took out time to visit it. Because what awaited me and my family there, were lots and lots of childhood memories and so much enjoyment for the kids!
Truly holding up to the definition of a MELA, the grounds were fizzing with cheer, laughter and vendors at every nook and corner, beckoning the crowds to try their entertaining tricks and products. The colourful artefacts, photo areas, umpteen number of rides for all age groups, games and lots and lots of traditional food stalls were sure to keep us entertained for hours together. Here are some crisp bullet points to give you a preview of the MELA and to help you plan your visit.
WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR?
- The best part, numerous number of rides for all age groups including some super thrilling rides for adults and older kids who are looking for an adrenaline rush!
- Traditional mela games such as hoops, strike the glasses, shooting etc. which are always enjoyed by all.
- Stand alone artists such as man on sticks, bioscope viewing etc. to keep you entertained even on the go!
- Lots of photo areas for some really cute pics!
- Truly ‘shop till you drop’ flea market experience, with so so much to offer! Diwali decorations, puppets, conches, name on a grain of rice key rings, bangles, pots, traditional artefacts, flower arrangements, toys, homeware and much much more…
- Lots and lots of food stalls offering a great variety to please all taste buds.
- Cultural shows and live artists to keep the mood pepped up.
- Very well organised with police personnel around to maintain peace and decorum.
- Spacious layout making it quite comfortable to roam around.
WHAT TO TAKE CARE OF WHEN YOU GO?
- If you are going in the evening, wear full sleeved clothes and wear a mosquito patch to protect yourself and the kids from mosquitoes.
- Pack spare clothes of younger kids in case they get soiled or wet in the water ride, along with water bottles and a snack as they are sure to get tired with all the walking they’ll have to do.
- While the timing of the MELA are till 8 pm in the evening, the celebrations linger on till 9:30 pm. So if you can’t go during the day, do visit in the evening.
- Fo very small kids, carry their strollers along.
- You are yourself responsible for your health and hygiene, so keeping a sanitiser and wet wipes handy before you indulge in any food items would be good.
- You will need good 2 hours to fully enjoy the mela, so plan accordingly. Or enjoy it over 2-3 days as its easily accessible.
Overal, surely a great experience that is rare to find in our small city. So don’t miss it folks and surely visit with all family and friends to double the fun! Enjoy!