Its RECIPE DAY! Today we have a recipe by a lady who started her journey of cooking as a house wife and has now made her name as a star chef winning lots of accolades and competitions for her culinary skills. Thank you Neelu Chachi (Mrs Neelu Kaura) for sharing this sumptuous flavoursome recipe with our readers.
SHIITAKE MUSHROOM RISOTTO WITH SAFFRON AND PUMPKIN (Or Zucchini)
Cooked together pumpkin and shiitake mushrooms make a sweet and savory dairy free risotto. Comforting and totally satisfying!
For the Stock (makes 4 cups) :
1 ½ cup dried mushrooms such as shiitake mushrooms, or wild mushroom or any of your choice of vegetables
6 cups water
2 bay leaves
For the Risotto :
3 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2cup onions, sliced
Pinch of saffron
2 cups peeled, deseeded and cubed Pumpkin or Zucchini
1 and 1/2 cups fresh shiitake mushrooms caps, sliced
1 cup Arborio rice
Salt to taste
4 cups stock
1 teaspoon dried thyme, Oregano, Basil (each)
- Mushroom Stock – Making your own mushroom or vegetable stock adds depth to the flavor of this delectable risotto.
- Bring the dried mushroom or mix vegetable water and bay leaves to boil in a 6 quart pot.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer covered for 30 minutes. Strain and discard the dried mushrooms or vegetables and bay leaves. You will have 4 cups of stock.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Add garlic, onions and saffron and saute for 5 minutes or until the onions soften.
- Add the Pumpkins and continue to saute for about 5 minutes, or until they soften.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms, rice and salt into the mixture and continue to stir for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 cup of simmering stock to the rice mixture, and adjust the heat to maintain a lively simmer.
- Continue stirring until the stock is absorbed and then add another cup of stock. Repeat with the remaining stock.
- Once all the stock is absorbed, add and stir in the thyme and all the other herbs. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
TIP by Mrs Neelu Kaura : Add mushroom coconut sauce and glazed zucchini with honey and fresh coconut to give a twist of innovation to this mouth watering recipe.