Whenever we shop for a new brand of skincare, the basic question we are often asked is about our skin type. Generally, most of us have no clue, as a result we end up buying the wrong product leading to waste of time, money and the damage done to our skin is an additional cost. Here are few pointers to identify your skin type!
- Normal skin is smooth even to look at. The pores are either small or medium sized.
- Usually suffer less from skin issues like acne.
- Dry skin has small pores. It is devoid of moisture and feels taut and stretched all the time.
- Since it remains dry it is more prone to wrinkles and fine lines and tends to age faster, all this can add years on to your skin.
- Oily skin shows large open pores, oily sheen and a shiny appearance which is very characteristic of oily skin.
- It is prone to acne.
- Oily skin tends to age slower than other skin types.
COMBINATION SKIN OR T-ZONE SKIN
- This is the most difficult skin type to tackle as there are two skin types that converge: oily and dry.
- T zone areas that is the forehead, nose and chin are greasy or oily whereas rest of the face is dry and feels stretched and taut. T –ZONE area is more prone to blackheads whiteheads and pimples whereas rest of the face feels dry and flaky.
- Most of the patients I meet in my practice, claim to have sensitive skin without even knowing what that means.
- Sensitive skin is a condition of hyperreactivity to environmental factors. People with this skin type show exaggerated reactions when their skin is in contact with cosmetics, soaps, sunscreens and environmental conditions like exposure to dry and cold climates.
HOW TO TEST YOUR SKIN TYPE
Wash your face and pat it dry with a towel.
Wait for 20-30 mins.
Put four pieces of tape on your face.
- One across the forehead
- One down the length of your nose
- Third one across
- One on your cheeks by your jawline
Remove the tapes after 10 mins.
If you see :
- Flakes, you have dry skin.
- Tiny oily droplets, you have oily skin.
- A bit of both you have combination skin.
- Redness, you have sensitive skin.
Home remedies for your skin type
- Normal skin – Mix cucumber with a tbsp of oats and add 1 tsp of milk cream in it. Leave it for ten mins and then rinse off.
- Dry skin – Papaya and honey pack. Take ½ cup ripe papaya, mash it to form a smooth paste, add 1 tsp of honey in it and let it stay on for 30 mins and wash off properly with water.
- Oily skin- make a paste of fullers earth (multani mitti), 1tsp of rose water and few drops of lime. Mix well into a smooth paste and apply on your face for ten mins and rinse off.
- Combination skin – In about half a cup of yogurt, add honey and rose water. Mix it well. Apply on your face and leave on for fifteen minutes.
Thanks so much Dr Nidhi for spreading awareness amongst our readers about such an important topic.
Dr. Nidhi Singh Tandon
Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist