The festival of HOLI can bring with it lots of skin problems caused by use of adulterated HOLI colours (Stay tuned to find out where to buy organic HOLI colours). As much fun as it might be, skin care becomes of utmost importance on this festival. So we went straight to Dr Nidhi Tandon (M.B.B.S, M.D, Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist) to give us some tips and tricks to use both before and after HOLI.
- Do not use shiny and dark colors especially reds, blues and greens as they are most laden with chemicals. Instead go herbal and use certified organic and safe colours for the sake of your skin.
- Do not go for waxing or bleach right before the festival.
- Do not use contact lenses while playing holi.
- People who have health issues like sinusitis and asthma should be extra careful while using colours. Instead opt for chemical free organic colours.
- Use 2-3 layers of moisturiser on your face and body to keep it hydrated AND soft.
- Do not forget to lather on sunscreen on your face and exposed body parts.
- Use protective full sleeves clothes to minimise the damage to the skin. Use a bandana for head to protect your hair.
- Apply nailpaint, not only on the nails but on the inside edges to avoid the colour from settling in.
- If the color happens to go inside your eyes, rinse your eyes with cold water.
- Use a soap free cleanser or baby oil to remove the colour. Yogurt is also extremely helpful to remove the colour.
- Do not vigorously scrub your skin or hair.
- Do not use turpentine oil or kerosene or any other such product to get rid of the colour.
- Use a shampoo and especially conditioner to moisturise your hair.
- Use a good moisturiser and apply at least 2-3 layers on your skin.
- Do not panic if the colour does not come off in first wash, it will eventually come off within 2-3 days.
- In case a rash appears on your face or body, put ice on it followed by calamine lotion. Take an anti allergic pill like levocetrizine. If the rash persists, go to your dermatologist to seek help.
Thanks Dr Nidhi for sharing your valuable tips with our readers. Wishing all the readers of THE HUSH HUSH DIARY a very safe and happy holi.
Also read about:
Dr. Nidhi Singh Tandon
Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/The-Skin-Art-Clinic-821149767962822/