Winters can be extremely harsh for your skin. Low humidity, cold and dry air can leave your skin dry, itchy and flaky. So all skin types need some extra protection and care during the winter season. But first you need to understand how your skin works. Here’s what Dr Nidhi Tandon (M.B.B.S, M.D, Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist) has to say…
“We all have a skin barrier made of molecules like cholesterol, fatty acids, ceramides and natural moisturising factor (NMF) that keeps our skin supple and hydrated. It also has an ideal ph level of 5.4 that prevents entry of unwanted bacteria and yeasts. In winters cold air and low humidity disrupts this natural skin barrier and allows entry of various irritants, bacteria and yeasts causing various allergies. Using wrong products on your skin can further aggravate the situation.”
DO’s and DONT’s of winters
- Moisturising is a must to replenish the lost moisture due to harsh weather. Moisturising lotion should be applied on the entire body after a bath, while the skin is still moist.
- Sunscreen isn’t just for summers. Apply a broad spectrum sunscreen to your face and neck.
- Avoid any alcohol based toners and astringents as they dry out the skin.
- Avoid long and hot showers. Keep them short .
- Avoid fragrance laden or harsh antibacterial soaps.
- Add few drops of coconut or almond oil in lukewarm bath. It keeps skin soft and moisturised.
- Avoid foaming face washes instead opt for creamy cleansers with steraic acid which improves skin barrier.
- Use a lip balm for your lips to keep them soft and nourished.
- Drink upto 7-8 glasses of water daily.
- Include flaxseeds, pumpkin seeds chia seeds, almonds, walnuts in diet as they are rich in omega 3 fatty acids and keeps skin hydrated.
- Supplements like evening primrose oil can be taken to repair your skin barrier and to keep your skin soft and nourished.
Skin behaves differently with the changing seasons. Hence, its important to take care of your skin according to the season.
Thanks Dr. Nidhi Singh Tandon for your sharing your valuable knowledge with our readers!
Wishing you a happy and fabulous skin this winter.
Dr. Nidhi Singh Tandon
Consultant Dermatologist and Cosmetologist
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/The-Skin-Art-Clinic-821149767962822/
Featured image from the web.