Cooking is not just about making delicious food but also serving it deliciously. One big difference that I personally find in home cooked food and high end restaurant dining is the additional element of a SIDE DISH. It not only adds to the presentation of the dish but offers an extra health reward to the meal as well. Side dishes usually require very little prep work. A small helping of some fruit or a quick salad or some roasted vegetables can be added to the side. However, if you are entertaining guests, you might want to be more creative and try the following side dish recipe. Our sincere thanks to Ludhiana’s very own culinary expert and a true chef, HITESH ARORA (Owner of Kipps mart, Hotel KG Best Western) for sharing his expertise with us.
SPICY VEGETABLE COUSCOUS
Yield : 4-6
Type : Breakfast side
2 Tbsp butter
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Carrots, chopped
2 Celery stalks, scrapped and chopped
1 Red pepper
1-2 Dried red chillies
1 1/2 Cup vegetable stock
2 1/2 Cup cooked chickpeas
1 1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp freshly ground pepper
400 gm Couscous
(To prepare couscous, use 1 1/2 cups of boiling water for 1 cup of couscous)
- Place the tomatoes in a bowl and cover with boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove, peel and chop roughly.
- Meanwhile, soak the couscous in the hot water for about 4-5 minutes, till light and fluffy.
- Melt the butter in a large pan over moderate heat. Saute’ the onions, carrots, celery and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, till softened.
- Add the chillies and tomatoes, cover and cook for 5 mins.
- Pour in the stock, cover and simmer for 10 mins, till the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the chickpeas, salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 mins.
Transfer the couscous to the serving platter and serve.